Thursday, 18 September 2008

Chloe's arrival 18th

Well after I had my breakfast at the hospital the midwife came in and said she was coming to induce me, and let's get cracking, she said once she was given the go ahead, she got a move on incase they changed their minds! So after being checked she induced me at 10am, using some gel, she said I was already a very tiny bit dilated (it must have been all that raspberry leaf tea I drunk!) I called Dave but said there was no rush as it could take a while, he appeared an hour later after he had took his parents shopping for some food,as they don't drive they would be stuck at our house with nothing to eat!(they arrived yesterday by train from Birmingham)

I had a lovely lunch at hospital, jacket potato and salad, this could be my last meal for a while! Dave was on the phone to work, giving his boss an update as they hadn't seen each other for a handover because he had just got back to work that day after paternity leave, I was getting contractions and they were getting alot stronger and I was pacing around the room! Saying this has got to be labour, if it isn't I dread to think what is! I went to see the midwife to ask her, she came and put the machine on me to monitor the contractions, at this point all the family arrived to see me, (Visiting time, 3pm) my parents and Daves parents! Luckily they weren't all allowed in, just 2 at a time! A few minutes later they were taking me to the labour ward as I was 3cm dilated.


They got me onto the bed and I managed to be sick all over the floor! I was given gas and air, Dave was really good, he told me when to breath, he held my hand, he mopped my forehead with a cold towel and he encouraged me the whole way through, he wasn't just good he was amazing! (I found out later he was also updating the Leeds Paper Doll's thread on his iphone! How many pairs of hands did he have?!) I was given pephadine as a pain relief, I didn't think it was working but Dave and the midwife said it was! I also kept saying I had had enough now and I want to go home! I then asked for an epidural and was told it too late, I was 10cm dilated! Next I was feeling the urge to push and the midwife said don't! Then she said push and after 3 or 4 pushes out baby came, she held her up and Dave said it's a girl!

Dave got to cut the cord, then there was a slightly scary moment, as she stopped breathing, the midwife pressed the buzzer and another midwife came rushing in, she took her away and within seconds we heard a cry from our baby! Thankgoodness! The midwife said it was expected and it was a reaction from the pephadine.

Dave's phone started to ring and it was Richard, Dave's brother, he was told that he was an uncle but not to tell the grandparents because they didn't know yet!

I still had to deliver the placenta, and also get some stitches for the three tears! Apparently I was giggling while the midwife was stitching me up! Dave then phoned the grandparents to give them the good news, the arrival of Chloe Victoria, born at 8:15pm weighing 7lb 10oz.

The grandparents were allowed in to see us before Chloe was taken to the Neonatal ward, Dave went with her to see where she was, then I was taken down to see her. I didn't last long seeing Chloe because it was very hot and I wasn't feeling too well, then on the way up to ward 3, I kept being sick, it wasn't nice, thankgoodness they had given me a bowl, as I filled it! Dave got me settled on the ward in my own room, then went home shattered and starving!

No comments: